09 July, 2006

Modern Times Cinderella

(This was supposed to be posted last night, but i was completely shattered so i fell asleep on top of the computer.. my neck hurts like hell... )


Tonight was a dark horse; I certainly didn't expect it to end like it did. Far from it. I had this friend, Theresa, who called me today asking if I wanted to go out. I said yea sure, cos we hadn’t seen each other for years! She kinda picked me up at 11.40pm... She came around with another friend of ours Margaret (Maggie for us) in her bike… Needless to say, three people don't fit in one bike. Then they called some friends, they picked me up and off we went.

The first bar was crowded. Just at the entrance, there was this guy I had a fling with. He was there giving out the tab cards. I said hi, he did too then he asked why I didn’t call him again. I lost his number (I think). Then again, I won’t need it anymore. Not for whatever he thinks doing, I don’t (ever). We got in. Theresa instantly found some gal from her course and they started chatting. Maggie went to get a beer. I stood by a nearby table watching the people pushing themselves to pass.

Then this gal waved at me. I looked around; maybe she's mistaking me for someone. She waved again. My shoulders shrugged. Maggie was right by my side when she noticed and looked at her.

"Claudia, over here."

It was for Maggie, she wasn’t paying attention when she waved.

I kept silent as she fought to reach us through the crowd. She said hi. We both replied. They talked a bit, while Theresa introduced me to the rest of the gang. We finally got a table, sat down and ordered our drinks and some food.

We were there about what 30, 40 minutes if so. Then we left for another bar. I quickly “integrated” in the group since I didn’t know them apart from Maggie and Theresa. There was this guy, John I think it was his name and he and Claudia were constantly picking at each other about who was the most poor...*rolls eyes* Their arguments were hilarious.

On the way to the bar, we kinda watched some guys fighting with each other on the street… Now that was sad.. And needless I think.

At the second place for the night, I had been there before. I wasn’t crowded, since it had an open space outside. Again, to the bar. We were ordering drinks and I didn’t have any change (yea am a big shot, only pay in bills) and Claudia was there ordering too so she paid my drink after a bit of a protest on my side.

“Ok, ok. You’ll buy me next round.” She said giggling

Deal. We came outside to join the rest of the gang and we spent the whole time there talking and getting drinks too. Then there was this other girl Ana that came along to. She just appeared from I dunno where in there (wait… recollections of earlier that night tell me she was at the first bar too) and she was trying to convince us all to go to this other bar. We all said yes. She went on ahead and we still stayed. In the whole group, we must have been about nine people, apart from me, Theresa and two other girls, the rest of them were all in nursing school.

On our way to the third place, Theresa and Maggie had to go pick up the bike and they would meet us there. So I was just alone with Maggie’s friends. They were nice :) I constantly laughed with ‘em, funny gang. I didn’t know where that bar was so I just followed. Claudia once again was the most talkative to me on the way there. She’s really funny too. The bickering with John continued all the way. We talked about so many things, I felt like I already knew her from way back. It was nice :)

The other bar was a flunk. Already on our arrival, there were two police cars outside. That couldn’t be good. Maggie and Theresa were there waiting for us on the outside. We got in. The music was pumping and it was crowded again. Me and my drinking buddy :p went to pay a visit to the bar. The space was nice, too bad it had too many people in it :/ It was just in the mood. Then this song I really liked started pumping. The amount of alcohol was starting to take its toll. John was the only guy in the group and he was there with his girlfriend. Maggie was at the bar talking with Theresa. I and the other three girls were dancing. I was so caught up in dancing; I had the need to exorcise all the bad energies I built up during the last week that I didn’t care who I danced with or who danced with me. John’s face alerted me for something when I opened my eyes. *big toothy grin* apparently me and Claudia dancing together seemed quite a show... I swear, I hadn’t a clue. I just felt good and that was enough. Really good I must add :p

We all left the bar upon its closing time; we still had to wait a while because it was so full. That and we had to pay as well. In addition, five more minutes of Claudia and me arguing of who would pay each other tabs… I paid this time. Time to say goodbye’s as we stepped outside into the chilly night. It was a pleasant night, not too warm not cold either.

Maggie and Theresa couldn’t really give me a lift once again so I told them I’d just pick a cab and everything would be fine and I’d call Theresa when I got home.

“Hell no you won’t. I’ll take you home. Where do you live?” Claudia offered. I pleasantly declined her kindness but there was no need. She insisted.

“Hey I’m already taking Ana, might take you as well. I’m sure you don’t live that far. Nothing in this city can be considered far ” She said smiling.

True. I thought to myself. So, me, Ana and her went on ahead of the rest of the group, talking quietly through the alleys until we got to the parking lot. Ana was the first drop cos she lived still a few miles away. She is a sweet girl. A lil’ way distracted about her surrounding but sweet. We exchanged phone numbers cos she’s in Lisbon too so we could have a coffee sometime and chat.

As we were coming back, I was a bit silent, just looking around the window. I like night trips.

“What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?” I heard.

“No, just a bit tired I guess.”

“God me too, my feet are killing me.” She made a fuss. “But please talk to me while I’m driving or I swear I’ll fall asleep. And you don’t want that to happen.” She grinned

“No, I don’t.” : p

So I talked. Guess it’s still one of my best if not only qualities I have left…

“Oh come on! You’re joking me! You telling me you ain’t got a boyfriend?!”

I smiled. “No, I’m not joking and no, I don’t. Why is that all the people say that when I answer them?”

“Maybe because you’re nice and cutie people tend to picture you having someone. When you break that idea from them, they get surprised. I get that all the time too.” She smiled back.

At that point I must have lifted my inner eyebrow and hmm’d .. Don’t get me wrong, I just got some something on the air. What, I dunno, but I picked something alright. The rest of the trip went smoothly, apart my senses being keener on picking up hints. They picked quite a few, though not enough to put a label.

She parked in front of my house and we were still talking for a bit. I said it was really nice meeting her and all the gang and I hoped for a next time when I came around.

“Now I know where you live, now you’ll come with us next time you’re here even if I have to drag you out!” She joked.

You don’t need to. Again the phone swap. I must say, we really wanted to keep talking but it was getting late. Then again none of us moved. I just kept saying I gotta go, she just nodded and we talked some more.

Finally, at 4.30 in the morning it was time to really say goodbye. I was clueless so I just said goodbye.


She smiled.

She tempted her luck.

I was surprised.

I gave in.

Had it coming for a while.

Never thought it would happen.

It did.

I smiled oh so shyly, she smiled broadly.

The door closed.

The car left.

Only saw the lights in the distance.

I stood there, in the sidewalk

The key spun in the lock.

Cinderella has arrived, unharmed.



I believe in fairytales,

However, not the ones you know

In mine, the princess doesn't get home at midnight,

She doesn't arrive in a fancy carriage and white horses

The fairy godmother is clueless about it all and rides a bike

And guess what? The prince isn't even a prince.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up with a terrible hangover but a smile on my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

2005-2011 Lachaesis | The Kiss Of The Valkyrie