15 February, 2009

In the meanwhile....


OK, It's not the 2-wheel equivalent of a Ferrari, but it's pretty much close. I am no bike expert, in fact my experience on that matter is relatively small. I've liked bikes all my life, I collected photos, miniatures, etc. The chance of learning a little more about these fascinating machines (hey I know, it's not a space shuttle) arrived when of my driving license.

Yes of course, nowadays, having a driving license is almost mandatory. So, a while back I enlisted into a driving school and was pretty much anxious to start my classes. Again, I am not one to make things simple *insert devious grin here* yes I enlisted the B category which is basically the light vehicles. But *ruff some drums please* I also, and secretly, enlisted into the A category, which is the motorcycle category.

Everything was fine, until I had to start the bike lessons. So suddenly I was having 'car' lessons almost everyday, when in fact I was almost finishing those (here before we start the bike lessons we have a 16-head start of car lessons first).

At first we have a 125cc to start with, then after 8 classes or so we step up onto a 500cc Kawasaki ER-5 (that picture on the top). I have to say I was a little intimidated by it, because it was quite different from what I was used to. But hey, I'm not someone to back down from a challenge!

So, let the ride begin!

The hesitation I had disappeared quite rapidly once I put her into first gear. The hum of the engine was so different from the 125, smoother but stronger. The seat height (some 78 cm), well, I still had some difficulties adjusting, but after a round or two it was fine! Of course, it's not everyday we have 194 kilos of raw power, gasoline and drive in between the legs (no pun intended). It's a little baby one must drive oh so carefully.
By the end of the lesson, I didn't want to let go of her *lol* seriously! I even asked my instructor if I could take her home! The following lessons were OK, so far I haven't had a problem with her, no falls and whatsoever. Something that did bother me when I started, was to draw 'eights' on the road. But now, I do them just fine. The key is just to know when to shift our weight and lean really well.
Since I can't (for the time being) afford the new Honda, I'll keep my stakes a little lower and settle myself with the ER-5. It's a steady, reliable and fine bike for starters and recently licensed, and as far as I've heard, long time riders just talk wonders about it.

What's there not to like about it? : )
That's just my 2-cents thought about bikes today. Maybe others will follow!

Take care! (^_^)/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

2005-2011 Lachaesis | The Kiss Of The Valkyrie